The Supremacy of Jesus
When you go over a bridge you exercise great faith in the structure of the bridge, the cables, steel and concrete which keep the bridge from collapsing. Our beliefs function as the structure upon we build our lives. Our beliefs determine our behavior or actions; in other words, how we act or behave is governed by what we believe. When you examine your lives and you realize you live in fear and insecurity, when you feel overwhelmed by life’s challenges; then I must ask you to ask yourselves, “what do I truly believe?”
“A faulty worldview will cause you all kinds of unnecessary problems in your life.” Rick Warren. (worldview: a system of beliefs by which we make sense of the world around us)
When Jesus asked his disciples who do you say I am” he was asking them, what do you believe about me? What are your beliefs about me? We know Peter replied correctly, “you are the Messiah the Son of the Living God”
When it comes to knowing Jesus, you should not just bee content that he was the Jewish Messiah who the prophets talked about. You should know that He is more than just the Jewish Messiah. The Scriptures give us a broader view of Jesus.
Jesus is God. (The image of the invisible God). The God of the Hebrews that we read about in the Old Testament. Yahweh, Elohim; people heard him and saw his glory. Jesus is the human form of God. God in the flesh.
– Jesus is supreme over creation (The first born of all creation; He is preeminent in rank; Jesus is preeminent over creation: supreme over what he created;) The creator will always be preeminent or above the creation. The architect, engineer is above building or bridge they build.
– Jesus is the Creator: (v.2)
– For him all things were created: in heaven and on earth; visible and invisible. Throne or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. John 1:3 All things we made through him and without him nothing was made.
Ps.33:6 By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host.
Nehemiah 9:6 “You are the LORD, you alone. You have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them; and you preserve all of them; and the host of heaven worships you.
Isiah 40: 12 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand and marked off the heavens with a span, enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure and weighed the mountains in scales and the hills in a balance?
The creator must be outside of the realm of his creation; he must be above or beyond what he creates.
– He is before all things (He is above his creation); he is superior, preeminent over what he created. He is in charge.z
– In him all things hold together: In him (Jesus) all things have their being. Paul referred to this when he spoke to a group of Greek philosophers. “In him we live and move and have our being” Acts 17:28
Jesus as Creator is still involved in his creation. He is the one holding it together. He indeed holds the whole world, the universe in his hand. This God breathed out stars and because of his great power he sustains them.
He also holds you together.
The amazing God we worship, Jesus Christ, not only holds or sustains the universe by his powerful word. He also holds you together. He is the rebar of your life that will keep you strong regardless of the pressure life puts on you.
He is the head of the church (v.18) The church was his idea, it is also one of his creations.
– He has the power over life and death. The firstborn from among the dead. He ranks everyone in this too. It was impossible for the power of death to keep him. So that in everything he has the supremacy. He is above his creation.
I hope your view of Jesus becomes broader, for he is more than a Savior or good teacher, He is the Creator of the Universe; the one holding his creation together. If he takes care of his creation, wouldn’t he also care for you? He is the one that can keep you from becoming unglued. As followers of Jesus you will be tested, you will go through storms in this life, you will face huge giants. But during all this, the God of the universe will hold you together. No god saves like Jesus. He is worthy of our trust. When fears and insecurity dominate my life; when I am overwhelmed by life’s pressures and challenges; when I am feeling like I am about to break; then I must ask myself. In whom have I placed my trust? If he is holding the whole universe, he will sustain you also. In Him all things hold together. Do you truly know Jesus? The more you know him, the less fearful you will be. The more confidence you will have in this life. Your God is holding you together.